Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thursday's Thoughts

So today I was reading a post on cafemom.com about 6th grade bullies and it made me think back to my childhood and how people are raising their children. The post was from an after school babysitting who watches a boy and a girl both in 6th grade at the same school. Apparently one day in class the boy hit the girl in the girl, not hard just in a teasing fashion. The girl told the teacher and boy got in trouble for it. Well the kids are going back and forth picking on each other. No injuries have been incurred. Well the girl went to school today with her arm wrapped up in a bandage and told all of the kids that this boy beat the crap out of her. He told the teacher that she was lying and she got in trouble. The babysitter wanted to know if she should call the girl’s mother and talk to her about the situation at school. That, surprisingly enough, isn’t what upset me. The women who responded to this woman stated that she should not watch the boy anymore because he was going to grow up and beat women.

Last I checked kids picked on each other, and while it can get bad and it should be stopped, it’s part of growing up. I don’t think it’s fair to call this little boy a wife beater cause he AND this girl are picking on each other. Now, before I get bashed I know that school bullying is an issue and I know it can be dangerous but I feel as a society we are blowing things way out of proportion. Why do we feel it mandatory to over analyze every action our children take? My kid can be a bully at two and she doesn’t want to share her toys, does that mean she is going to be a serial killer? I think not. We really need to back off and let our kids be kids.
blog comments powered by Disqus